RE: [RC] Barefoot/Shoes? Advice needed PLEASE! - LONG & Slightly OT ? - Linda Cowles

I replied to Sarah offline about her horse. I trim horses professionally, and don't have all the answers, but have some... wanted to help clear a few things up.

BAREFOOT & ENVIRONMENT
I have client horses kept on wet pasture and hard, dry terrain, and have figured out how to keep both types of feet very, very sound. Dry ground builds a harder hoof in many ways, but my irrigated pasture horses are doing okay too...

WHITE LINE DISEASE
White line disease is described by Pete here  http://www.hoofrehab.com/end_of_white_line_disease.htm#Whiteline, and can come up in barefoot and shod horses. I run into a fair amount of it, but haven't had any tough cases.

As Karen said earlier, there is barefoot and Barefoot...  not all barefoot horses are trimmed by someone who understands how to prevent white line separation, long toes, under-run heels and other distortions that allow white line disease to take hold.

Wall separation is an invitation to white line disease... and it's painful!! It's like having a fingernail pushed back! If a horse has a competent barefoot trimmer and is trimmed regularly, the odds of it's getting white line disease are low because the white line isn't stretching... the same could go for a shod horse. If you shoe every 4 to 5 weeks, wall separation won't have as much a chance to occur. If you shoe every 7 to 8 weeks, the hoof growth causes wall separation and leaves the hoof susceptible to white line disease.

> These were my ponies...heavily used, pastured on a rocky hillside. Beautiful feet, no chips or cracks. The white line just separated the wall from the sole and at that time I'd never seen it so didn't nip it in the bud.

This stuff sneaks up on us. When the hoof wall starts getting long on a barefoot horse, it often (not always) flares outward and the pressure on the lamina causes the separation. Many of us use either a "mustang roll" or a bevel (usually 30 to 45 degrees) at the base of the wall to encourage a natural rounded wearing of the wall and to lessen the amount of flare. I'm putting up pages to help my clients maintain that bevel in between my visits... it'll be titles something like "Trim Maintenance" in my articles section. Restoring that bevel takes 10 to 15 minutes per horse on a balanced hoof.

FOUNDER DIET

>> I don't understand the special diet needs...feeding for a healthy hoof should be the same whether the horse is barefoot or not?  Is this special diet something he's selling you?

Sarah's horse has Laminitis - founder - and that's the same as diabetes in humans... Once a horse founders, you can count on having reoccurring if the diet isn't managed. Like a diabetic person, it's diet becomes a critical factor in it not refoundering.

-- Linda

Linda Cowles
Certified Hoof Care Provider
WWW.HealthyHoof.Com