Re: [RC] Barefoot/Shoes? Advice needed PLEASE! - LONG & Slightly OT? - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

>>>Infection from nails...can't happen unless the farrier "quicks" the horse, which, if you have a good farrier, happens rarely.  I've never had it happen (knock on wood).  So I don't consider this risk a reason to avoid shoes.

I keep hearing people say infection, white line, etc can come in through nail holes. We've had 2 outbreaks of white line in our neighborhood. Every time the barefoot horses have gotten it, *not one* of my shod horses has. That included 4 ponies that had never had shoes and 3 horses that had been shod at some time  but were barefoot at that time. 3 that were shod never got it.

Angie