[RC] guns as protection when riding? - Tracey Smith

I am with Dawn on this one...if you do ride with a handgun....how do you
know if you have to use it your horse will not freak out...dump you and
then you or the horse actually be shot instead of the attacking animal (or
person for that matter)?
My husband is a avid hunter and shooter and while I tend to not be a big gun
hound (have no problem with others having them...just not MY style) I once
suggested possibly carrying one when riding in case of a snake encounter
(that's the biggest animal threat here in TX) or when riding alone.  Never
occured to me until he asked me "What would Amira do if you had to SHOOT
that gun?".  The answer is she'd freak...as she's never had guns shot within
close range.  We do ride during hunting season so, gunshots in the distance
are a sound she's grown accustomed to...but would I want to shoot off of her
back...I THINK NOT!
So, just think ahead if you want to carry a gun...better plan on getting
your horse accustomed to gunshots BEFORE...you head into a situation where
you could actually need to use that gun.
Tracey
--------------
<<If you ride alone, it would be wise to carry a handgun...actually, it
would be really wise to ride with a partner with a handgun -- you may not
have time to react if you are attacked.>>
I second Megan's email in full, except this part about the handgun. Scary
thought of trying to get a shot off and not kill the victim in the panicked
mayhem. In my lectures (next on in a few weeks in Grass Valley, CA, where
they killed a nearby cougar last week), I suggest bear pepper spray and/or a
sheathed non-folding knife. MANY attacks have been survived by fighting
back. Even with a stick.
Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue
www.wildaboutcats.org <http://www.wildaboutcats.org>