From: Sarah Simmons <surgitech2001@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 03:33:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [RC] Barefoot/Shoes? Advice needed PLEASE! - LONG & Slightly OT?

Hey guys, I am looking for some ideas/advice on this
issue of my horse Merlin's feet.  I would be
interested to hear what you think...

This all started last September when I pulled my
horse's shoes to give his feet a "rest".  He was
pulling a shoe on practically a biweekly basis back
then because (I thought) of all the mud he was turned
out in.  After 6 weeks of being barefoot I noticed my
horse's feet looked really bad, like he had foundered.
  He was also very sore.  I called my farrier out and
he said, "Yup, looks like he foundered!" and then I
called my vet out for X-Rays and advice.

I just don't know what to do about my horse's feet.
My vet is the one who reccomended Pete Ramey and his
barefoot "Natural Horse Trim".  They suggested him so
strongly they made me feel that he was the best
choice.  They are the only reason I got Pete Ramey and
left Merlin's shoes off.  Otherwise I would have let
my normal farrier keep working on him and put
corrective shoes on him.

My husband and I have bought a new home and will be
moving Merlin in October.  I was thinking the other
day that when I move Merlin I might start using the
farrier at the barn there and having shoes put back on
him.  He only started being sore after I took his
shoes off!!!  And Pete said he had foundered before
that so ...?

I mean I understand the theory behind having a
barefoot horse, and I understand that nailing a shoe
on a foot opens the foot up to infection from the nail
holes, causes a lack of shock absorbtion and more
concussion on the joints, etc.

On the other hand, Pete did tell me that it would take
ONE WHOLE year for him to get to where he needs to be
with his feet, and that includes one whole year on
this diet, which we really only started a month ago.
So I feel like I need to give Pete more time.  I mean,
why would the vet and so so many other people around
the world be reccomending barefoot horses if they
weren't seeing some great benefit from it?  You know
what I'm saying?

Merlin's feet cause a tremendous deal of grief for me.
 I want to do the best thing for him, and pretty much
everywhere I read online and everyone I talk to tell
me they think barefoot is best.  *sigh*  I would not
be keeping him barefoot if he was sore 24/7.  He is
sound on soft ground and in the grass.  He seems to
only be sore on gravel and pavement.  We will really
see once we move him because their little paddocks at
the new place are very dry and hard with nowhere near
as much grass as he is in now...

What do you think about his feet?  I mean to me what
really sticks out is that he was NEVER SORE until I
pulled his shoes off last September.  I always want
the best for my horse.  I am open to just about any
suggestion at this point.

Sarah

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs