Re: [RC] CTR...Last words - Chris Paus

And here's my last response!

It doesn't matter  whether you ride in ECTRA, UMECRA, NATRC, MOTDRA or AERC. Horsemanship is a big part of success or failure at distance riding, or should I say, longterm success or failure. Anyone can have a few great rides, but having great rides year after year, takes horsemanship, which encompasses a lot of things!

Yup. NATRC is the only org that scores you on horsemanship, but that doesn't matter. When your horse's condition is being judged in the other CTR groups, or when a vet looks over your horse in AERC to determine if it is fit to continue, your horsemanship is there... on your horse. The horse reflects what you have done to him or for him or with him.

It's not about CTR versus endurance. Both sports are great and I participate in both. It's about learning how to rate the horse, how to teach the horse to take care of himself, learning not to override the horse on any particular day.

When you've done this for awhile, you'll understand. I'll never be a top tenner, (well I have a couple of times, but by luck, LOL) But I know every footfall my horse makes. I know every breath he takes and every heartbeat, with or without a HRM. I am very in tune with him. When we have a great ride, it is because I've used the horsemanship skills I've learned in this sport and i've listened to my horse and ridden him according to what he had to give THAT DAY. A couple of times, it meant pulling because it wasn't in him that day. Some days it meant getting the turtle award. And sometimes everything gels and we just cruise! It means paying attention to him when he tells me we've gotten off trail (yes, a good distance horse reads ribbons). It means listening to him when he tells me he NEEDS to grab some grass or drink out of a puddle, or go potty, or stop and take a deep breath at the top of a hill.

It means riding him efficiently and correctly so that he doesn't have to worry about balancing himself and me. It means choosing the right tack  so he is comfortable. It means choosing the right groceries for him. It means preparing him for the work I'm going to ask him to do. It means teaching him how to behave at vet checks. It means learning to camp with your horse.

THIS is horsemanship. Yes, it is very much a part of the sport, whichever form you choose to do. The people who learn this, will ride for years and enjoy distance riding a long time. The people who don't, won't stick with it because they use up horses or decide it's too much work and they find something with more immediate rewards.

I hope you'll try to understand this Sara. No one is  trying to make you feel bad or argue for the sake of arguing. I think you sound like a person who could be a real asset to the endurance community. Give yourself time to learn. Be a sponge and soak up everything that you can. That's also horsemanship.

Good luck and happy riding.

chris

Brian & Sara Minsk <ninemaplefarm@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Ok. This is the last time I am going to respond to this topic! LOL

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com