[RC] CTR Thumbs Down/Let'em Run - DVeritas

I find the discussion as to whether someone can (or should) race when participating in their first Limited Distance ride or their first Endurance Race interesting in the face of the very well-intended and (IMO) well-placed recommendations being given regarding racing a horse.

However, as long as the AERC promotes RACING at ALL levels of distance competitions, who cares?
Sure, the AERC provides information as to how better pursue this sport in consideration of the horse, however, there is no REQUIREMENT (to my humble knowledge) that anyone EVER do Long Slow Distance, there is no REQUIREMENT that the rider ever learn anything about horses and the better manner in which to use them, there is no REQUIREMENT to go SLOW.

DISCLAIMER:  As those familiar with my posts know, I do not believe in using a horse too early in its career, or EVER too hard for its abilities and conditioning levels.

That said, LET 'EM RACE....it's what the AERC actually PROMOTES.  The organization doesn't stipulate as to whom may race, other than some vague age requirement for the horse.  That's about all the "eligibility requirement" stated in the rules.

No experience necessary, just show up and go for it.

The "sport of endurance riding," as defined by the criteria and parameters laid out by the AERC, is what it is.

Frank