Re: [RC] CTR and Horsemanship - Chris Paus

Brian & Sara Minsk <ninemaplefarm@xxxxxxx> wrote:

However, to imply that someone does not have good horsemanship because
they do not start out in CTR riding is BS.

No one publicly said that on this list. If someone said that to you privately, I'm sorry.

They are 1) Horsemanship and 2) Learning distance riding techniques and
strategies. They are not necessarily the same thing.

But you need both for distance riding.They are not mutually exclusive and I think distance riding strategies and techniques are skills you can apply to many disciplines and to horse keeping in general.

I was in a great lesson program as a kid that practiced good horsemanship and followed pony club rules. I think I know a little something about good horsemanship.

That's great, you've got a leg up on some of the people who start in this sport.

I may not know about the questions such as how much to feed at a ride, how to keep my sponge from flopping around, etc!!! LOL However, I consider that different from good horsemanship.

I consider nutrition an essential part of horsemanship. Dangling sponges also is good horsemanship.. i.e., teaching your horse not to panic when things are around it's legs, getting your own balance together so you can drop a sponge and retrieve it. it may sound goofy, but it IS horsemanship.

However, why can't I start out in endurance and ride with people I respect who are great horsewomen?

Of course you can. No one is saying that you can't. A lot of people do it that way.

I just am baffled that people seem to think endurance riders do not practice good horsemanship.

Again, no one said publicly that this is so. I'm baffled that you keep putting words in our mouths.

Chris, I am working on getting my young (age 5) horse to a ride. I backed her last year and we have been doing slower organized pleasure rides and training at home.

I commend you for letting your mare grow up before backing her and giving her time to learn the things she needs to know before competing. That's great horsemanship. Kudos to you.

No, I haven't actually ridden at a ride yet. I think it takes time to get a young horse ready. I wonder if this is considered bad horsemanship??

See above. Now you're being sarcastic. Let's have this conversation again in a year or two when you've done a ride. I've got three horses in competition and only one of me. I'd be glad to loan you a horse and you can come to a CTR and/or an endurance ride with me and then you can make your decision based on what really happens.

chris

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com