[RC] Fat Stores - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fatigue is closely associated with depletion of the limited stores of
carbohydrate in the muscle and in the liver. Therefore, it is not surprising
that strategies have been developed to ensure that not only are the
carbohydrate stores well stocked before exercise but that they are also
restored as soon as possible after exercise. Consuming carbohydrate immediately
after exercise increases the rate of muscle glycogen resynthesis and also
results in greater endurance capacity during subsequent exercise."

because I have been training to do a century (bike) next month and I've been
told by so called experts that the best thing to do is eat protein after a hard
ride. Now this is saying carbs are better post ride.

What I would like to know also (sorry if it was in a post and I missed it) is
where does stored fat (horse or human) fit into all this? All I hear and read
is about muscle being broken down during anaerobic but nothing about fat
reserves. Again, sorry if I missed the post and my interest is human and horse.

Kathy R - SE>>

Two primary storage facilities: adipose tissue and intra-muscular triglycerides
IMTGs). Adipose tissue is all fat--as in the fat you trim from meats before
cooking. It comes in a couple forms, but both are very difficult and costly to
break down during exercise. IMTGs, on the other hand, are stored within the
muscles and are more readily available during exercise.

In highly trained human athletes, IMTG stores are generally not a
consideration--no one watches diet to ensure adequate IMTG stores, primarily
because it has been repeatedly shown that a dependence on fat fueling slows the
athlete and inhibits glycogen metabolism. Aside from the equine literature, it
is very difficult to find a scientist advocating feeding high fat diets to
athletes.

ti