[RC] gaits, not a flame :) - Lee Towne

I really had back issues on my young TWH until I knew what to do.  An older better trained one may not have been a problem.  Here is the “not a flame”:  you are right, you probably knew how to ride a gait on a marginally smooth horse as well as I can post a trot J.  The gaited horse did not know what you wanted or he had a tendency to pace.

There is nothing like a smooth one if you ever get a chance to ride one and my guy will rack at 23mph + so speed is not an issue.  Mine has never been tested on big miles though, he is young and I am new.

Lots pace b/c they were bred for that then corrected artificially in the show ring (I am not a TWH show person and won’t be, but won’t start that string!).  If they have no show horse in them it is often said they will be smoother and the real good ones will gait for anyone.  Generally after about 6 y.o. with training you can make them all pretty smooth.  There exceptions to every rule of course.