[RC] oxalate, beet pulp and other feeds - Les Spark

Here in the UK we have pastures with lots of plantains, a relative of the tobacco plant which our horses readily eat. These are high in oxalates and presumably sequester minerals. My horse had problems last season with plasma calcium depletion towards the end of the last ride of the season and ended up with 'thumps'. This may have been chloride related as bloods prior to the ride showed Cl low but as cations and anions are inseparable perhaps the plantain oxalates caused the problem.

Any experience or comments out there?

I'd be pleased to hear - currently supplimenting Ca but thinking of copper as well as we live in a high rainfall region which tends to leach minerals from the soil. The local sheep certainly have a copper problem unless suplimented, so perhaps the horses need extra too. Alternatively its all the fault of the plantains as the sheep eat these?

Les