Re: [RC] Cross-ties - MJWEST02

In a message dated 8/13/2005 2:21:57 PM Central Standard Time, carolyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
There is a great invention that makes cross ties much
safer, it's called bailing twine.

Carolyn Burgess

GREAT IDEA -    I don't cross tie - but I was sure glad when the owner of the barn uses twine - It saved me ONE big accident.

My mare was single tied in the aisle way - her stall was behind her, door open.   I cannot remember exactly WHAT scared her, but she started walking backwards, right into her stall.   - rope tight - got to the end of it , which caused the claustraphobic mode to strike,  and when she took one more step back - the twine broke, the lead rope hit  the wall with a loud -POP- !  It sent a startled echo down each of the horses that were in their stalls.    The best thing is - my mare did not flip - did not get hit with any rope and really didn't understand what happened when it was over.   She just looked at me like, What happened here?

So if CROSS TYING is your preference, at least consider an emergency release like cheap twine.

Mary