[RC] Re:Hard to shoe horses - Julie Fuller

Nat was hard to shoe on the right hind when I got her... she'd been quicked, and when she jerked, the "shoer" (Read ex-owners father-in-law) beat the crap out of her. I spent a lot of time working on getting her over this. She got much better, but it was pretty hit and miss as to whether my shoer would have trouble or not. In the end, she cured herself!

The first ride I took her to, we had the camp all to ourselves for three days. I was really lax in letting the horses roam around, knowing Nat wouldn't go far with Jynxie the Wonder Pony refusing to leave camp. One evening, I took both of them down to the creek.. let'em drink, splash water on 'em, let Jynxie do her Labrador thing... you get the picture.

I was leading them back across the creek, hopping form rock to rock trying not to get my feet wet (one lead in each hand of course) and Nat decides she's gonna do one of those "Oh my god! It's water, I gotta JUMP!" Jerks the lead outta my hand, and takes off like a bat outta hell, bucking like a rodeo pony, and I realize she's bucking because she managed to get the leadrope caught in her right hind shoe! (or vice versa)

Jynxie and I climb up the bank, and Nat is no where in sight. I took Jynx back to camp, and headed off down the road looking for Nat, with Jynxie calliing her home the whole time. I was on foot, because the kids had taken off with my truck, putzing around the backroads.

I was about two miles from camp, following the galloping horse tracks down the road when a guy and his little boy stop.

"Are you looking for a horse!?"

"Yep"

"Well, she's about another mile down the road, running like hell. I'll take you to her"

So, we head down the road, and finally spot Nat. She was standing in the middle of the road, head down. As I got closer I realized she still had the rope caught! I couldn't believe it! And it was really jammed in there. Clear up to the back nail. I couldn't get it out, (and the helpful guy had nothing to cut it with, so I started leading her slowly back to camp. Soon, a couple of women stopped, so I asked them if they had a knife. Sure enough, out comes a Leatherman! So that little problem was solved.

I rode back most of the way from there... the kids found me just outside of camp. Jynxie had run around in circles screaming on the highline the whole time, so the kids knew something was up when they came back through camp.

The shoe on Nat's hind foot was bent (and still had a foot long piece of lead rope crammed under it), but I had no way to pull it, though I tried using various tools from the toolbox. Next day, a farrier showed up. He pulled it, straightened it, and reset it. Nat was perfect. And she has been ever since.

So, I suppose you could duplicate this incident, and perhaps cure your horse this way, but I certainly don't recommend it! I was amazed that Nat hadn't broken her silly neck, or torn a ligament, or sprained something... but she was absolutely fine.

Sorry for the length, but I love telling horse stories!

Julie