Re: [RC] Newbie - and a question - Krista Berner

Thanks Ashley!

I might be looking for another horse around the first of next year, but for now a quarter horse is what I have available.  Another thing, she's going to be 'on loan' from my aunt so it may not even be worth it for me to start training on her, depending on my aunt's plans as to how long I get to keep this horse.  LOL  Most of forever if I have my way, but...

Krista

Ashley Kemerer <Ashleyk1@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi! Great to see that someone new is getting into the sport. It's not
that no one rides quarter horses it is just that there are only a few.
They can potentially do just fine, but they are just not ideally built for
the sport (generally to slow.) Generally you want a quarter horse to be
muscular and stocky(full) whereas for endurance you want a lean mean
fighting machine lol. The first thing you do is obviously condition your
chosen horse, see how he does then you start out with LD-limited distance
25 to 30 miles this will be a good indicator of how your horse may do in
the longer distances. It's not to say that Quarter Horses can't do
endurance it's just that they aren't the best suited breed. I know people
who ride an Appaloosa and a TB which aren't typical endurance breeds
either and they gave done really well, it totallly depends on you and the
horse.
Good luck hope you enjoy the sport.
Ashley Kemerer