RE: [RC] Cross-ties - Jim Holland

Hmmmm...I live on the east coast and my barn doesn't have crossties...never
have liked them.  Too dangerous, especially for young horses. The problem is
not tying, it's just that crossties are too restrictive on the horse's head.
Most trainers, including the natural horsemanship clinicians will tell you
not to restrict a horse's head when you hold him or lead him. Don't grip the
lead rope right next to the snap. He needs to be able to look at what's
going on around him.  When he can't, it makes it difficult for him to relax.
As long as his FEET don't move, doesn't matter. A horse can injure himself
SEVERELY on crossties if he panics at noises because he can't see the
source. I've seen it happen.  The incident that sticks in my mind the most
was a young lady trimming her horse's mane in crossties...from a stepladder.
Not only hadn't she trained her horse to stand quietly unrestrained, she
also hadn't bothered to teach her horse to drop his head.  I won't bore you
with details, but she ended up in the hospital and the horse died of a
broken neck.

My horses stand for grooming, shoeing, and their baths tied with....nothing.
But you're right, Flora...I agree that it IS a training issue! :)

JMHO.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland
Three Creeks Farm