Re: [RC] Cross-ties - Sisu West Ranch

"... It is far safer to have a horse tied than
untied.  All it takes is one second with ..."

If a horse is untied, and I prefer to work on horses outside even now that I have a barn. It will jump away from you.

It will not hit the end of the lead, or tighten the cross tie and rear up then come forward and trample you.

Just as standing quietly in cross ties is a training issue, standing quietly with no real restraint is a training issue. If a horse is wild and will not stand, get a good resistance free training person to teach it (probably unrestrained in a round pen) to stand.

I am aware that in the eastern part of the country, and in show barns, and hunter jumper barns cross ties are the norm. I still contend that the methods of resistance free trainers are far superior.

More important much safer. I have heard many stories, one from my wife another last month from my farrier of people being injured when a cross tied horse freaked out. One of Wendy's fingers does not work properly because her well trained horse freaked in cross ties. This is a horse routinely, since he was 3 that the farrier would shoe, completely unrestrained in the front yard. My farrier has some barns that insist on cross ties. He checks that there is a breakable piece of twine somewhere in them. Last month someone had replaced the weak link with many wraps of twine. He showed me the bruses. I was injured one week after I got my first horse when he was tied. Since then I have never been trampled by a horse that I was working on who was free to move.

If a barn is so crowded that a large number of horses have to be groomed in the alleyway at the same time, you are still safer if the horses are not tied. If they are so wild that they will run amok when handled they need to be in a round pen for initial training, if not they will just move a few steps when they take exception to a procedure.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640