[RC] LD on a Stallion - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Lauretta tikitiki69@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I did all LDs the first year on Shaba.  The biggest thing I have
seen (once people actually realize that you are riding a
stallion)is that folks HATE it if he talks at all (you know, that
stallion hur-hur-hur stuff).  Other than that, as long as he is
well mannered there is no problem.  If you are passing close
quarters or if you want to ride along w/ someone riding the same
pace as you, I always make a point of letting them know that
Shaba is a stallion, and then make sure that I am watching how
close he is behind the other horse, how close a horse is behind
him, and especially what direction his ears and nose are
pointing.  You need to watch this with any horse, but if an
altercation happens, the stallion is generally blamed first.
Happily, mine is so well behaved that most people don't know he
is not a gelding till I tell them.  I have had mares pee right
in front of his nose, have ridden him with other stallions, and
he has been just fine.  Many times, he is better behaved than
some of the other horses, but saying he will never misbehave
is like saying your dog never bites; the one time you say that
they will.  Bottom line is, you know how your horse acts so take
precautions on the trail accordingly.  Also, in camp take extra
care on his containment.  A loose stallion equals a lot of
damage. Have fun riding!!

Lauretta and Shaba (I try to be good or I get placed on a 'time
out' and there are NO TREATS when that happens; a treatless world
is an unhappy one and must be avoided at all costs)