Re: [RC] credibility - Joe Long

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 13:04:37 -0500, "oddfarm" <jsalas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I would like to see how this schedule has been used as a
proven method for training and winning. Is there anyone
else who has followed this protocol that could shed some light?

I may get flamed for this, but here goes anyway.

My reaction to the overall program is that while it may be successful in
preparing a horse that survives it for one of those fast, flat desert races in
the Mideast, I have real concerns about how many years the horse will still be
competing afterwards.  Some other concerns:

1.  Due to the enormous amount of time and cost, it is only "doable" by those
with the time and resources, a small minority of the endurance community.  But
then, that's a factor when big bucks get into what has been an amateur sport.

2.  The high-pressure program, with so few days of actual rest, is likely IMO to
result in many horses not staying sound throughout the program and never making
it to the big race.  Not a problem for a large operation that starts many horses
in the program in hopes of having a few ready to run on race day, though.  (A
problem for the horses, alas.)

3.  Because there are well-funded operations who will be training on this level,
this may be becoming what it takes to win those fast, flat races in the Mideast.
And that's a shame, IMO.

An important thing for "the rest of us" reading this forum to remember is,
nothing remotely close to this is necessary to ride a 100-mile ride to finish,
and nothing very close is required to finish in first place on any current U.S.
100-mile rides.  If your goal is to ride domestically, or to ride the same horse
for many years, I would not recommend following this program.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx