[RC] credibility - oddfarm

I read the posts about "properly" training for a 100. My comments are ONLY my opinion. I am sure someone will pipe up about whether my opinion is "educated" or not.

Competition is about winning, but not necessarily about winning overall. Sometimes you are competing against your own time, trying to be faster than the last race. That is how you get better. In foot races, you may not win overall, but you can win you age division. It is still winning.

I agree 100% with starting off with a sound horse and intelligent rider. Having a good "base" before starting any type of workout is a must. Adding miles a little at a time, definitely. Adding hills, calisthenics, and speed are a big part of the conditioning process.

I do wonder though how the best riders got to the top if they never had any idea of how fast they were going? I guess it didn't matter as long as they were in front.

Monitoring progression is, or should be assumed. A daily log book is a big help because it is hard to remember week to week every workout that you did and your horses attitude at the time. That is very important when you are alternating hard and easy days, hard and easy weeks. Dane Frazier has always talked about how important it is to stress the "systems" and break for repair time. The muscles, the heart and lungs, and tendons all get stronger.

Does all that have to be monitored with blood tests, expensive equipment or a trip to a hospital to have it all done because you don't have it at your farm? It wouldn't hurt, but it is not realistic. At least not for most of us who don't have one groom per horse, screened and fan misted stalls and an equine dietician. Oh, and unlimited funds. Will it make or break you as a winner? I don't know. Ask the people who ARE winning.

100 miles per week. How realistic is that? What if you are trying to keep more than one horse ready and able to "compete" 100 miles?

A lot of that sounded exactly like what I use to read in Runner's World 20 years ago. The comment "more is almost always better" sounds just like what the coaches were preaching back then. Not that a horse couldn't do 100 miles a week easier than a person, but that is 400 miles a month and by the time you have done all this to ready for race day, say a year later, your horse has already put in 5,000 miles, more or less. When the runners were going at it for 100-150 miles per week, they lasted about a year in "top" form not including the exceptional few.

Now I can't really argue that this "training program" is credible or not because I have no idea who has followed it and been consistently winning.

"The idea came from a French trainer, but the concept did prove out in
practice in Abu Dhabi. We were typically racing 75s and up though."

Who's "we"?  Who is this French trainer? I have read posts from people who consistently win here at home, winners of the Tevis and even read books from people like Lew Hollender etc,. We can also see from their records, they have done very well. I don't recall such a training regimen. Not that it wouldn't work. Has it only been used in the flat land desert, or could it work in the mountain region as well? I looked up some of the web sites that list endurance races, results,top barns (Abu Dhabi) and top trainers. I didn't recognize any name listed as the top trainers. So who IS "we"?

Since Mr. Maul posted the Smokey/Bill record and Bill was kind enough to pass along his recorded field trials, I read all that too.

The date of Bill's first entry was 2001. He stopped riding in 2000. So I still don't know how well AGL works in actual race conditions because he was using it on training rides only. Or at least that is when he recorded it. I don't doubt Bill's credibility. If however, he followed the 100 mile a week protocol and used this AGL ,we never got to see any valid results because Bill never did more than an LD ride. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Bill only did as he was asked, but we still don't know who "we" are nor have we seen actual results.

I don't mind research, but I can't look for something that is not there. I am sure the French trainer has some really great reading material but I don't even know his or her name.  If I knew for a fact that all the info was actually in use, and was constantly producing winners, race after race, then I would say "Hmmm, maybe there is something to it".

I would like to see how this schedule has been used as a proven method for training and winning. Is there anyone else who has followed this protocol that could shed some light?

Lisa Salas, The Odd farm