Re: [RC] Insulin Resistant - martina keil

I have a horse (part pony) that has foundered very slightly and puts on a terrible crest. I suspect she is IR.
I make sure her turnout is limited (she cannot be out 24/7) and that she gets plenty of exersize! She gets fat on dirt. Right now I need to have her in a corral as we deal with a lameness issue. The only way I can keep her weight down is to soak her hay. I soak it for up to two hours in COLD water. This take out the souluble sugars. IT REALLY WORKS!  If she is not getting use....she is in a dry lot where I can control EVERYTHING she eats! Depending on his diagnosis and his individual management needs, the vet should be able to suggest some other options. But for now, start soaking that hay. It need to be well dained before being fed....also I make sure there are holes in the bottom of the feeded to keep it draining.

This is one long term management option. She really needs to work with her vet to put together somethingthat works for him. I don;t think it is the end of the world, but it will probably mean his management is very structured.

tell her good luck!