Re: [RC] Insulin Resistant - KAREN

I have a horse who is insulin resistant.  Dr. Elleanor Kellon’s advice helped me tremendously with balancing his diet and getting him back to work.  Managing the situation through diet and good hoof care is the key to getting the horse back to work.  Getting the horse back to *regular* work is the key to “beating the illness”.  My horse had laminitis for the past 3 springs (excluding 2005 which I attribute to him being in full condition for endurance).  He is back doing endurance this year.

Horses that are insulin resistant cannot have ANY sugar (no grain, no carrots, no apples, etc.).  It’s difficult to find hay that qualifies, but if you can’t there are other products to substitute until you can get the horse balanced out (LMF Low Carb Complete is a hay based complete feed specifically for this problem).  In addition, you need to balanced the vit/mins really closely until you get things under control.  This includes knowing EVERYTHING that goes into your horse and what the vit/min values are (including water).

You’ll find good information here:  www.safergrass.org  At Katy’s site you’ll also find the URL’s for the Cushings lists where Dr. Kellon participates and helps people with these problems (you can do a search for Cushings or Equine Cushings at www.yahoogroups.com and also find a couple of other support groups).

Karen

Kstandefer at apbb dot net