Re: [RC] training to cross water - Zephyr Arabians

--- Kathy Ramspott <kramspott@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What has been most successful, driving,
riding, leading or some
combination?  This is the week I planned on
introducing him to it.

Kathy, I think it's really going to come down to the
individual horse.  You may also find that crossing a
wide, flowing river is easier than crossing a stream
(or harder -- again, depends on the horse -- but mine
have all tended to like rivers better than streams at
first).

I've found the BEST way is to pony them across a river
if possible.  But, some horses will just walk right in
the first time.  Others will leap into the river and
then discover it's OK (I can't remember any horse of
mine leaping into a river more than once -- seems they
get this one the first time).

For streams, it's just patience.  Again, ponying is
great if you can do that.  Let them jump if that's
what they need to do, just hang on for that awkward
leap.  And then do it over and over (not necessarily
all at once).  Remember not to lose your temper.  The
horse's depth perception is extremely limited (eyes on
the side of the head will do that to you) and for all
they know that trickle of a stream is a deep crevice
they'll fall into.  I let them sniff and try to keep a
lose rein and let them think about it, then I'll
gently persuade and let them think some more.  It's
all about patience with scary objects.  Streams are
really no different from any other scary object except
they have to step into them rather than walk past
them.  Some horses will be better if you get off and
lead the first time, but I try to do it mounted if
possible.  I don't want to be on the other side if
they should leap and land on me (mommy! protect me
from this scary stream!).

Good luck!  Don't spend too much time dreading it or
the horse will pick up on that!  Relax, be patient,
and it'll be fine.

~Nicole

Zephyr Arabians http://www.zephyrarabians.com
KattWmn Web Design http://www.kattwmn.com