[RC] training to cross water - Kathy Ramspott

I'd bought him in February, and for several months had dealt with all the "young green horse issues." You all know them - the "I can't walk through that creek, I have to make a big awkward jump over it," and the "no, I'm going to throw a temper tantrum and rear." I eventually convinced him he *could* step in water without dying, and when he reared, I was careful to let up on the reins and leg him forward so that I didn't pull him over backward. He soon learned that rearing wasn't productive and quit.

Dawn, did you just point him at the water and patiently encourage? I've read if they seem to get upset you should back off but it sounds like you were able to get him through it even though he (sounds like since he was rearing) was a bit un nerved.
For everyone and anyone who has had to train their green (only 1/2 dozen trail rides by himself), young (4) arab to cross water by themselves any suggestions? My guy is fairly level headed and hasn't done anything obnoxious but I *know* trying to cross water will be an issue and am fairly dreading it. Where we ride now has a flowing wide river that I will eventually need to cross if I ever want to get to the more fun and beautiful trails. Again, I don't have other horses to follow across the water. What has been most successful, driving, riding, leading or some combination? This is the week I planned on introducing him to it.

Thanks,
Kathy R - SE