From: Kathy Ramspott <kramspott@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: rdcarrie@xxxxxxx
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:09:37 -0400
Subject: training to cross water

> I'd bought him in February, and for several months had dealt with all > the "young green horse issues." You all know them - the "I can't walk > through that creek, I have to make a big awkward jump over it," and > the "no, I'm going to throw a temper tantrum and rear." I eventually > convinced him he *could* step in water without dying, and when he > reared, I was careful to let up on the reins and leg him forward so > that I didn't pull him over backward. He soon learned that rearing > wasn't productive and quit.

Dawn, did you just point him at the water and patiently encourage? I've read if they seem to get upset you should back off but it sounds like you were able to get him through it even though he (sounds like since he was rearing) was a bit un nerved.
For everyone and anyone who has had to train their green (only 1/2 dozen trail rides by himself), young (4) arab to cross water by themselves a ny suggestions? My guy is fairly level headed and hasn't done anything obnoxious but I *know* trying to cross water will be an issue and am fairly dreading it. Where we ride now has a flowing wide river that I will eventually need to cross if I ever want to get to the more fun and beautiful trails. Again, I don't have other horses to follow across the water. What has been most successful, driving, riding, leading or some combination? This is the week I planned on introducing him to it.

Thanks,
Kathy R - SE