Re: [RC] training to cross water - Chris Paus

Agree with Jonni. Horses are like children. they usually live up or down to our expectations.

In addition, I'm not really a John Lyons fan, but do use his idea of "comfort zone" to deal with horses beng scared of creek crossings and monsters. this works for trailer loading too. Far too often, someone starts whipping and kicking a horse just as the horse was getting ready to do what you asked. That tells the horse he gave you the wrong answer!

start by getting your horse as close to the creek as you can WITHOUT him spinning around and trying to avoid it. If he does that, you went too close and out of his comfort zone. Keep the horse in teh comfort zone and just relax. Take some deep breaths yourself. Shrug your shoulders to relax. and just sit there. It might take 30 seconds, it might take 10 minutes. Doesn't matter. There is no race here.

When the horse is ready to go closer to the water or other scary thing, he will put his head down, maybe pretend to graze, lick his lips. At this point, you urge gently. A little leg on him. lots of "scritches and atta boys." He may take 1 step or 10. Again, doesn't matter as long as he makes forward progress.

Then repeat the process until he is in the water and through the creek. the first time takes the longest. It's not a quick fix, but it is a better fix than "cowboying" him across. You don't want him to dread creeks and rivers thinking he's going to be punished at such places.

I also keep a pocket full of apple or peppermint treats. when the horse has crossed the water, bridge, etc., he gets a reward. Most horses are very food motivated. I don't mind rewarding them for doing what I ask. I want them to look forward to doing challenging things for me.

Once the horse is crossing ok, find a body of water where you can walk around in it. I like wider creeks. I get the horse in it and we just go for a walk up or down stream, whichever way is safest with the best footing.

One other consideration, sometimes there truly is something to be frightened of and the horse knows better than we do! Once I insisted that Star cross a creek when he didn't want to and we sank chest deep in quick mud. I should have listened to him. Another time, he refused to cross a creek we have been over dozens of times. finally, I saw it, a big old snapping turtle hidden in the grass along the creek bank, the kind that can break a horse or cow's leg with a bite! The next day we went to the same creek and he went over it nicely. the monster was gone.  chris

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com