Re: [RC] training to cross water - Kathy Ramspott

Jonni,
This makes alot of sense. He does trust me and we have gotten through alot of obstacles due to his confidence. The ONLY reason I am thinking he will be bad with water is due to his avoiding mud puddles at all costs. After reading all of these posts I have the confidence that this does Not necessarilly mean he will have an issue with water. I will be taking him to a slow running very wide creek tomorow and just confidently "look to the other side" as you say and see how it goes. If it doesn't go well I will try to set up a water obstacle at home. I have a very laid back mare who I could potentially pony him off of but he is such a character and is so playful with other horses and I've never ponied before so that would be a last resort. Also all the folks I used to ride with ride gaited horses so I'm riding solo for now since my youngster can't keep up with them yet, well, he could but don't want to do damage.
Thank you everyone, there was a lot of good advice and I will take it into consideration. He already walks onto and stands on tarps no issues at all and was a trooper the first time seeing large pipes, black tarp, and horse eating logs on the trail. He saw a grey Donkey last ride and was just amazed at him LOL.

Kathy R SE

Jonni wrote:

>>>My guy is fairly level headed and hasn't done anything obnoxious but I *know* trying to cross water will be an issue and am fairly dreading it.<<<
If you are convinced your horse will be naughty crossing water, I'd pretty much assure you, the horse WILL be bad. If you know your horse trusts you, and you have built confidence that you are A) the leader and B) the leader will not let bad things happen, then the horse should trust you, and listen to you, when you ask it to cross water for the first time. But if you have doubts, I bet you will be standing there frustrated.......and your horses feet will stay dry.
Go to the water crossing, look to where you want to be (the other side) and ride confidently through it......
Jonni