Re: [RC] TWH Age Durability Value - Lynne Glazer

Gotta add my voice to Amber's. My first horse was a big TWH of old bloodlines, 16.1 and we measured his cannon bones at a whopping 8.5". He was given to me on his 23rd birthday, and was a race-minded fool, any time we were out with a group he would never yield even if they were young'uns. I had to retire him at 28 due to arthritis--he was used early in the show ring in speed racking classes, shown until he was in his early teens, then packed a 250 lb guy on mounted search and rescue missions in the mountains. He eventually got used to retirement, a lot of frustration at first, and died a month shy of 33.

I ran the horse care part of a handicapped riding program that used mostly TWH for nearly 7 years, and as part of that evaluated the horses offered for donation. Let me tell you that in no way are TWHs washed up early unless ill-used, and they had happy working lives way into their 20s. I used my boy to let the smallest kids go the fastest, my rule was I had to be able to see over their heads (they were in front of me on the saddle), imagine an AIDs baby who can't see, hear or speak experiencing that rocking horse canter. They could sure smile...

Lynne
Ayrabs Ember, Q and half Lipp Twix (who got cast up to her armpits this morning, bad girl making me work to take the fence apart around her)