Re: [RC] TWH Age Durability Value - Chris Paus

Oh gosh, one of my pet peeves. Seems that no matter what the breed, the big money show ring has found a way to ruin it for anything but showing and that has been going on for decades.

When I was a kid, back in the 1960s, my dad had a big TWH named Stormy. I used to ride Stormy all over the place. He went just as easily on trail and covered ground as well as my half Arab pinto mare. Had I been into endurance then, I'm sure Stormy would have done a fine job. Dad belonged to a Sheriff's Posse type saddle club and each year they'd have a big open horse show.

I often worked the gate and parking lot riding Stormy. There were TWH classes in this show and I can tell you that even back then, the "show" TWHs and the one I was riding were nearly two different breeds. In fact, a trainer of one of those big lick horses came up to me when I was on Stormy and watched us work. He said to me, "Now THAT'S the way a Tennessee Walker is supposed to move. We've ruined them."

I'm afraid it hasn't gotten much better for the poor horses since then.

chris

apleg8'n <rackinfool@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Paula I don't know where you are getting your information, but I can tell
you as a TWH breeder of TRAIL and ENDURANCE horses they do NOT lose their
value as they age.

Perhaps you are looking at the Big Lick horses from the South? That is an
entirely different ball game and those poor horses are used up quickly if
not tossed to the dogs right off the get go if they can't lift those front
knees up to the moon by 18 months old!

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. Louisa May Alcott

Chris Paus
Lake Region SWA  http://lakeregionswa.fws1.com