[RC] TWH Age Durability Value - apleg8'n

Paula I don't know where you are getting your information, but I can tell you as a TWH breeder of TRAIL and ENDURANCE horses they do NOT lose their value as they age.

Perhaps you are looking at the Big Lick horses from the South? That is an entirely different ball game and those poor horses are used up quickly if not tossed to the dogs right off the get go if they can't lift those front knees up to the moon by 18 months old!

Walkers like any breed reach their peak between 9 and 12 and go on to perform excellent well into their twenties. Not for hard working endurance at the later age but certainly as a good pleasure horse. It all depends on the care they get like any other horse.

Walkers were bred for endurance! Dang show barns have taken that great heritage away from them. Read the history on the Tennessee Walking Horse.

I am out on a mission to show people that these great smooth riding horses can do this sport and do it with honor. We certainly have gained the respect of our fine Arab counterparts in the NW region.

I keep telling people it is not the horse that isn't capable...it is the riders. The majority of people getting into gaited horses are "Sunday Poke- a -longs"

If you want to successfully compete in AERC, you must get your lazy butt out there and train and condition just like the Arab riders do. Don't blame the horse for not placing well or not having the recognition in this sport...put the blame where it belongs...the riders not wanting to put the time and hard work into researching what it takes to have a fit horse to finish.

Just like the Arab riders you have to select the correct type of gaited horse to begin with. Long lean muscles, shorter back, competitive attitude. If you have had Arabians in the past use that same criteria plus what you need in a gaited horse, ie, correct gait, conformation, etc and then go find it. I looked at over 1000 horses before I bought my first gaited endurance horse. I knew what I needed for this sport coming from an Arabian background.

The older gaited horses are the ones that have the most value just as any other horse for the same reasons....been there done that. Although I don't always agree with that line of thinking. I prefer to purchase youngsters and start them out my way. Remember Tennessee Walkers have pleasing dispositions and my youngsters are sane and steady right from the get go and I know they have been handled in a loving and responsible manner.

If you want to see how my boys have fared right from the beginning of their short lived endurance careers go look at my website under endurance photos. I am pretty darn proud of them. Now we are up to fifty miler and still holding strong in our first full season, I have not posted my season yet, but trust me we have done a fine job this year so far with one top ten on a very technical course.

If you want more information email me privately. I can direct you perhaps to some good breeders of good trail horses and steer you clear of some areas to run from too.
amber
rackinfool
www.applegaitnendurancehorses.com