[RC] TWH's, age, durablity and values - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Paula Juergens cowlitztractor@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok, I can see the flood gates opening now, but,, am curious to get some
thoughts on the TWH's and MFTH's and mule crosses with these horses. I'm
looking at a couple 4 Y.O-'ish laterally gaited horses & 1 gaited mule, but
have seen some 7 to 11 YO's at nearly half the cost of the younger less
experienced horses... Ok, these are Equids that have never even done endurance,
they are in for all appearances in wonderfull condition. All the buck and 'fun'
juvenile cruds over with. But for all their life experience and time and
expense to keep a horse to that age, I see a huge drop in their value,, then
there are those that are selling 'color' for STUPID amounts of money.... Like a
down payment on a house kind of money! Ok,,, Quarter horses in that 7 to 15
year range bring the best average money in their lifetime at that age range,,,
except if they are a 2 or 3 year old winning futurities & on the race rack,,,
(no thank you, brain damage)like 6YO eventers,,, DUH,

Anyway, I'm sort of wondering what I'm missing that I should probably know
about before I make an investment into a young gaited horse? Just to have their
value plummet? I am just not finding the reason behind it on my own,,, Do these
breeds break down early? I know they are pretty flexible,,, but so are most of
the worlds strongest bridges and buildings.  I want a solid 50 mile horse that
looks to the horizon and wants to see whats there with out having to be goeded
and pushed constantly, but that will work cows a bit and will also work as a
willing, mobile medical station on round ups in the fall. I volunteer vet work
in trade for my family to also ride round ups,, most folks pay good money for
the little tourist cattle drive, we get to do the real thing,,, it's a great
trade and opprotunity. But the "right horse" is a must and I like the fact that
walkers and foxtrotters where originally bred to also work cows, like the QH's
I so dearly love, but the QH's can't give me that big stride that covers so
much ground so effortlessly. I have one that is SUPER smooth, but not for
50miles, and she's not into endurance at all. WAY TOO MUCH WORK! She'll drag
cows to a fire all day, as long as it isn't any further then 25 miles. LOL

I'd appreciate grounded thoughts an information on this. Particularly from
those of you that might have experience with a good cross selection of breeds
that you have used for endurance riding...