Re: [RC] [RC] TWH's, age, durablity and values - Soli Sorokin

You've got some good advice so far, but here's some from someone who
lives in the South, where the show barns are prevalent and even TWH's
that aren't bred there are a big risk.  I've run my legs off doing my
homework around here, and it's pretty unbelievable the things I've
seen and heard...you can already presume what the show barns do - but
the little trail outfits are almost as bad.

The prevailing "wisdom" here in deep Tennessee when it comes to
"pleasure/trail" TWH's is that they are to be started under saddle as
a long yearling and rode long and hard.  You see 2 year olds for sale
very frequently that are advertised (and literally are) "dead broke".
I have very rarely seen a fully sound TWH over 10 here - they are
usually traded in around 7 or ridden until they break for good.  My
vet, (the only vet within 50 miles, that is) breeds walkers and told
me I should be riding my yearling colt already :-/  Unfortunately, I'm
not exaggerating...even on agdirect if you search under the zip code
38556 with a 200 mile radius you will see any number of "well-broke"
two year olds, usually with a picture of a big guy on them sitting
somewhat hunched over in a chair seat.

I would be very careful with purchasing any older TWH from *anywhere*.
Many from down here are sold up North to unsuspecting buyers, who then
may resell them. My advice is to do a thorough veterinary exam and x
rays prior to purchasing - the cost will be well-worth it in the long
run.  I've noticed it is very difficult for the average person who is
used to trotting horses to be able to notice mild lameness in a gaited
horse, whether from the ground or the saddle. The natural hoof cadence
is just too different.

That said, I'm finding more and more that the TWH is a great
no-nonsense horse. Take your time, find a sound one that you like, and
I'd wager you'll enjoy him.

~S