Re: [RC] DIMR and its effect on performance - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 8/5/2005 8:44:23 PM Central Standard Time, ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

One factor that has not been mentioned in the thread on horses getting into
trouble,  is the problem of DIMR (distance induced mental retardation)
My point is that sucessfully completing an endurance ride and protecting the
horse is hard and sometimes has little to do with how much knowlege of
arcane subject matter the rider has before the ride starts.

I am never as sharp at the end of  a 50 as I was at the
start.

Well said!  I experienced this at a 50 this past weekend, when heat exhaustion hit me halfway thru the 2nd loop of a 3-loop 50.  The severe stomach muscle cramping, frequent vomiting, etc.  Rode 9 miles like this, cooled off in our trailer's A/C during the 45 min hold, then stupidly went out on the last 14 1/2 mile loop (after all, my horse was doing fine...).  Started vomiting again 5 minutes after leaving camp, and continued the entire loop.  Dizziness hit about 3 miles from the end, but I made it in, barely.  On that last loop my horse had two brief little muscle cramps behind his right elbow...during the second one, two riders came by, and I explained what had happened...they asked if I had elytes with me.  I said "yes," and continued to look at them with a stupid look.  They suggested I give him some.  Duh!!!  I did, and he was fine the rest of the ride.  I was so far gone (sick from heat) that it never occurred to me.  Yeah, I guess one could say I was not as sharp at the end of the ride as at the start...  <G>

Dawn in East Texas (I don't do heat...)