[RC] Hundred mile rides - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti Tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Ridecamp, we've had a lengthy discussion on where the 100-mile rides have
gone, or perhaps where have the 100-mile RIDERS gone.  There have been a lot of
thoughtful answers, and a lot of speculation.
I was talking to a vet a couple of days ago, and it was his question to me, and
my answer to him, that the multi-day rides are becoming the ultimate
competition, rather than the 100-mile ride.
All I can say at this moment is: for our 75/100 miles rides coming up soon, the
entries for the 75 compared to the 100 are over 4 to 1.  We will not offer the
100-mile ride in the future if there is no more response than this.  It is
considerably more time- and energy-consuming to offer both distances than to
offer just the one, probably 50% more effort, because of the logistics of
trails used and the necessity of maintaining the extra mileage for the 100.

If 100-mile rides are so desired, then support them, or they will disappear in
favor of lesser mileages and multi-day rides.  Don't just sit there and
complain about where the 100s have gone.....get out there and ride one!

Barbara McCrary, ride mgr>

It will only get worse. At one time, TBs typically had a Sunday afternoon's
race that consisted of 3 4-mile heats. These days, finding TBs fit enough to
safely run a mile is difficult. Tracks like Finger Lakes seldom write races
longer than 6 furlongs. The reason: Earlier golf tee times for the trainers.

In endurance, only those serious about the competitive aspects are going to
race 100s. Those interested in other things will become more and more like
boaters--they'll all drive to a location, set up, and sit around gabbing for a
couple-three days. The riders themselves will eventually become unfit to sit on
a horse for 100 miles.

It's human nature. There's no incentive to do the extra work. Everybody already
wins. International competition is all politics and not worth pursuing on the
US team basis, and too expensive for most on an individual basis. You're
witnessing the key symptom of the slow death of a sport.

ti