[RC] horse buying/selling - LAWRENCEC BENNASCONI

 I sold a horse that I used for LDs and he did well, however we had a love/ hate relationship so I sold him to a pleasure riding home. Daughter lost interest, horse up for sale. I start trying to help locate a buyer who will put him back into endurance. I went by, picked him up (30 minutes from my house, one way, and not in the direction of the ride) to take him to a ride so someone could look at him. I explained the horse, his positive and negative points, level of conditioning, everything I could think of in great detail. If the horse was what I said he was, the buyer wanted him as long as he passed a vet check.  Also, because of the extra weight in the trailer, my fuel mileage dropped 3 MPG on the way to the ride, however I wanted to be sure this horse ended up in a good home, so no problem. We get to the ride, horse behaves perfectly, stands tied to my trailer the whole time, no fuss when his buddy leaves, prospective buyer rides him around camp, he is flawless. Great ground manners, very obedient under saddle.  This person ended up not buying the horse because it would take too long to bring him back into shape, and I told them how he had been ridden, and that after 3 months of conditioning, he could do another LD, and maybe 6 months for a 50. He was in 50 mile shape when I sold him. After I brought it up, they did give me a little money for gas, but I didn't even break even in the deal by the time I took him back, 30 minutes each way to take him back home.  My attitude is now " if you want the horse, come look at him" Seems like everytime I have really bent over backwards to help some one that is looking at something I am selling (horse, car, anything) they are "just shopping"