[RC] nasal discharge - Mike & Kathy Kelly

My mare I got last summer came to me with consistent nasal discharge, but just from one nostril.  Last summer the eye on that same side was also very runny, even goopy sometimes.  The nasal and eye discharge was thick and yellow.

This summer her nostril rarely has any discharge when she's just hanging out, and her eye runs very little, when it does its clear.  The discharge is milky white, no odor, and the mare seems healthy as can be otherwise.  BUT now that I've started conditioning her, her nose really starts running when we're out on the trails.  Of course I'm also starting to ride her with small groups, and although everyone has been very kind, I know they are wondering if my horse has something contagious (I'm certain that she doesn't, my other horses are all fine).

She never coughs.  She did have one really bad tooth (very long) on that side that had probably been a long standing problem since she'd never had her teeth floated when I got her (at age 9).  I had them done last Nov and was hoping that might improve the discharge situation.

When I asked my vet about it he said the only thing to do was have her scoped, and I'd need to take her to PHX for that.   He said that antibiotics wouldn't help.

She has improved so much since I got her that I keep hoping it will just resolve, but wondering if there is something else I can do, perhaps a supplement like grape seed for an immunity boost?  I'd be more concerned if it seems to bother her, but I'd still like to get it cleared up for good.

Any ideas on what may be causing it and what I can do short of having her scoped to clear it up?

Thanks,
Kathy Kelly
Parks AZ