[RC] [RC] How do you pick the horse? - DreamWeaver

I think I'd like one put together well, like Heidi described -- you can tell that by watching them trot out. When I chose Chief, I led him --a late 5 y/o and not yet gelded past all of the mares, trotted him out and checked his pulse -- low 30's, and his feet -- based on that, he went in my trailer! I also liked his eye, and how easy he was to catch, halter, lead, tie, stood patiently, etc.

I would choose a horse with good feet. It's just so much easier! I also want all black feet (I don't care what studies say otherwise) I also like a horse with a kind and gentle eye, a nice temperament and a personality that I can get along with. If given a choice, I would not want any white markings on the lower legs, or any pink skin -- I like dark skin underneath, less chance of scratches that way. Tho I wouldn't rule that out in a horse that was right in other ways, it's just that if I had a choice, I'd take the one I knew I'd have less stuff to manage. I'd also try to choose a horse that wasn't jumpy or spooky or a drama queen, and that had not been mishandled in any way. Oh, and like Truman, I wouldn't get a 3 year old with the idea of having a good 50 mile horse at 5 -- I think waiting until they are older to get them going is better for them in the long run. They can still have a very long career even if they don't do their first endurance ride until 6 or 7. This is based upon seeing how much all of my Arabians have grown after they were 5+ years old, they just were not mature yet at 5. No sickle hocks. Some flaws are okay, depending on what they are and how the horse compensates. I also like a good eater and one that isn't 'herdbound'. My geldings all seem to have one goal in life -- and that is to eat, so they are always in a hurry to get to food, lol. Not sure just looking at a horse if you can tell if it is an 'easy keeper', but if you can look at the horses relatives you may be able to tell that. I think that may also be a trait that you can tell by a horses temperament and personality. Calm type versus wired.

Karen