Re: [RC] Responses to Myths on Flex Panel Saddles - Marv

Marv's example of a fishing rod does not accurately define what a flex panel system saddle does. Flex systems contour and apply even pressure from tip to tip, top to bottom and even in the middle.

I don't want to start a spitting war here and I know that such saddles
have been the discussion of numerous threads with unknown results.
However, for those who may have wandered onto the list and as one who
has a bit of a reputation for resolving a fair share of horse problems,
I feel the need to quickly address a few things.

Saddles are intended to be a stabilizing platform between two dynamic
forces - horse and human.  The poster's above statement can be
quickly analyzed by stretching a rope tightly between your hands
then having someone pull on the rope.  You will see your hands move
closer together.  When they let go of the rope your hands will move
father apart.

Now then, if the rope were a saddle, the ends of the saddle, which
are represented by your hands, will also move back and forth and
generate front to back energy.  Back to back energy can seriously
affect gravitational energy and produce instability.

  There are approximately 400 square inches of surface to make contact as they flex to the contour of the back of the horse.

Again, the flexibility of the saddle does not spread the weight.
Where the weight hits it will press what is beneath it down.  This
also can be show by the rope / pole experiment.

The (2) flex system panels (one on each side of the horse back) flex making contact with most all the back area with the exception of the spine area. This allows a 150# riders weight to be approximately (.38) of a pound per square inch.  Whereas a standard saddle using the same rider distributes 6.25 pounds per square inch.  As you may know, 4 or more pounds per square inch can cause damage.

Again, a flex panel cannot disperse the weight.  It is generally accepted
by most saddle techs that 1.75 PSI is the point at which muscle atrophy
quickly begins setting in.

A standard saddle is a splint that's bars bridge as the horses back changes from season to season and can not make full contact.  All the padding in the world can not make an ill fitting saddle fit better.  Ask yourself, Would you buy a size 18 pair of boots and just pad them up with socks to fit? I think not.

Change this to include a splint that takes into account the curve
(rocker) of a horse's back and it's right on.

Flex systems have been around for over 20 years and have been proven to work great as they can be used with a minimal padding of less than 1/2 inch or non at all.

The length of time anything has been around is no indicator of
anything other than it's been around.

Some companies are just starting and others have been around for a while building and testing flex systems.  No matter whose you try, you will find your horse performs better with a flex system than a standard saddle.

Okay, here's a test for flex panel users...

Mark where the front and back of the saddle fall on your horse
then remove the saddle.  Now, take your fingers and with the
pressure you would use to feel the bones in your arm palpate
along a front to back line four inches off the spine while closely
observing your horse's reaction.

The backs on our horses and our customers have never been better. No more buying a new saddle when you change horses.  My personal Flex Panel Saddle has been used on hundreds of horse and has fit almost every breed know.  Will just one of your standard saddles do that?

Where would one go to have this proven?  This flies in the face of
so many things I have learned about saddles, horses, forces, kinetic
energy and so on than I can shake a stick at.  I would be willing to
go and see this first hand.

Marv "Too much wiggle room somewhere." Walker
http://MarvWalker.com