[RC] Spandex - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti Tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

am not asking for complete reviews of every study you use, but a couple of
sentences summarizing the limitations, and method would be appreciated. >

But Ed, concerning the paper actually discussed, that of longevity of horses
raced young, I DID say that there were other possible factors impacting the
study's result. And the paper itself wasn't even presented--just somebody's
summary of it.

Why don't you outline a set of rules for discussing science here, and I'll be
happy to follow them--if I find that approach enjoyable. Otherwise, I'll
volunteer to be the first to stop discussing science at all here, and we can go
back to wedgies and spandex and Easy Boots.

On that topic, what percentage of US endurance riders do you think look good in
spandex? Kind of a RC fashion question. We can even introduce a whole lot of
pro and con spandex science--there must be some out there, eh? Let me look, be
right back.

Wow! More than 4000 papers in Pubmed in respons to a "spandex" search, with
titles like this: "Synthesis and characterization of novel blood-compatible
soluble chemically cross-linked polyurethanes with excellent mechanical
performance for biomedical applications."

We can sure have fun with this one!

My comment on the above paper, just off the top of my head, would be: "Yeah,
but where are all the studies about lumps and bumps and bulges in practical
application???"

Now, if you can find a paper to refute that contention, or just answser the
criticism, I'll see if I can find a paper that REALLY takes a look at the
application--in fact, I have some videos from endurance rides that will provide
us all with direct indisputable field evidence. Then, you can counter with the
fact that your personal preferences differ from mine. And then, we can get into
sample-size arguments to see if your conclusions are justified.

We can go to the moon on this subject alone! Build careers on it. Call
ourrselves the Spandex Boys and get on Fox News. Do a Spandex DVD, with Spandex
sponsorship--have to be a different sport, though, maybe something like beach
volleyball or cross-country skiing.

Yes, I get your point. There is much to be enjoyed from never-ending
discussions of just a single subject, with conclusions and delusions flying
every which way.

ti