[RC] FW: Training techniques for both human and animal - Maureen A. Fager

Angie asked: From your record it looks like you're a very solid back of the pack
completer doing lots of 8-9 hr. 50's, something I would think a horse
could do off of good hay and quality feed without a whole lot of what you
call "not so easy and expensive" technical stuff. I'm just curious as to
why you'd do it? Do you hope to push your horses super fast once you
figure it out...is the experimentation just fascinating to you, or do you
to plan to continue to pace the same but feel this gives you an even
bigger safety margin?

Hi Angie,
I love science and I find sport science absolutly facinating, and I want
to learn, really learn how to train an athelete. Yes, I am a back of the
packer for various reasons: the first couple of years I was riding other
folks horses and this is where they wanted them. My own fitness issues
and getting used to riding distance. My age--I didn't ride my first
endurance ride until I was over 40. Chronic health issues. My own horse-a young
horse I didn't want to race until I felt I knew what I was doing. The
uncertainy of knowing what I am doing.

I haven't tried carbo loading for various reasons but would like to try
in the future. I have kept training records- a spread sheet on my computer
and really like it. I tried Interval Training but stopped because I do not
have the type of footing needed to do this where I train. However, my couple
of attemps were quite fun! A boarding situation prevents me from getting
hay anylasled but I have made feeding changes which have been benefical. I
look forward to the day when I can have hay analysises done. Have weighed my
horse at any and all oppurtunites.

It took trial and error to learn to use my HRM and until I bought one
that worked well on my horse I really didn't quite get them.  (the strap
around the barrel type does not work on my horse.)

I have a degree in Equine Science from Colorado State University because
I just don't like horses I want to know as much about the science of horses
as i can.

What Tom Ivers represents to me is bringing sport and exercise science to
horse owners/trainers who want to persue that knowledge. He has introduced many sport science concepts to me-concepts I feel are necassary to understand what I attempting to do. Many of these concepts have been benefical to me. Do I agree with
everything he says? Of course not.

Endurance for has been the most difficult sport for me to participate in
then I could ever imagine.  It took me over two years just to be able to
get to a ride to do my first fifty.   The science and the record keeping for
me helps to answer the questions: what am I doing, what are my goals and how
do I measure it.

Alas, health issues in the last year and now this year will prevent me
from making any progess for a good long while.  I am convalesing a broken
foot-hard to ride and train when one can't walk.  So I suppose my record
will not show much for who knows how long.   Endurance is a long hard
slog for me but I just keep trying to gain knowledge and keep trucking along
no matter how slowly.

When I was in the hospital after having surgery on my foot the nursing
staff was amazed at my pain tolerance. Hee Hee, they don't just know about endurance
riding and how one learns tolerate pain and to persevre.

Cheers,
Maureen