Re: [RC] The book - DVeritas

In a message dated 8/3/2005 12:00:53 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, Stagg_Newman@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
IMO the same training strategies are NOT appropriate for equine and humans.
I think the "operative" words in Stagg's post is "training strategies".
    As far as actual "platforms" go, though, I believe the two (human and equine) are very similar.
    I believe, once properly "loaded" for the endeavor, each will (if tasked at aerobic levels, vice anaerobic levels) consume (as fuel) first Fat, then Carbohydrate.
    The problem I've encountered in the endurance community is that some endurance riders get so fixated on FAT and FIBER, that the ready and proper absorption of Carbohydate and its synthesis into Glycogen is lost.
    With proper nutrition and a training regimen properly formulated and applied, though, the biomechanic responses of the horse can be taxed, while not compromising the metabolic state.
     The Glycogen stores (in muscles and the liver) can be safeguarded if that horse is ridden within its aerobic thresholds.
     What I found interesting about Tom Ivers' posts was addressing Lactic Acid.
     Being from a distance running and triathlon background myself, I always FEARED lactic acid and its IMPROPER buildup.  So, for me, it became something to be "managed" by the methodology I employed in competition and recovery.  I followed the same philosophy with my horses...now, I'm wondering if there might not be more to learn about Lactic Acid in horses.

    Frank