Re: [RC] The book - Stagg_Newman

Nancy,

IMO the same training strategies are NOT appropriate for equine and humans.
The physiologies are very different.  Horese need far less training
per mile than humans.  And different types of training.
Overtraining is perhaps the biggest training mistake in the sport.

As an example of how different the physiology is I just read
correspodence between a very well certified human cardiologist
who had written a very professional letter basically saying some
of the equine cardiology work AERC was sponsoring reflected
as lack of understanding of cardiology, how the fundamentals
of the heart worked, etc. and that some of the effects being
looked for did not occur.

The response, also very professional, from the University doing the research gave
point by point examples of the difference and how the
effects did occur and were observed in horses.

We still have much to learn about endurance physiology in horses.
So taking new ideas from human training and investigating them is
worthwhile.  Applying them before doing so may be asking for trouble.

Stagg Newman
former distance runner
(and who hopes in the not too distant future to have completed 50 1-day 100s)

> Thanks.
>
> As a former distance runner, then competitive cyclist, I have been
> wondering if I am making a mistake in applying training techniques that
> work with human athletes to the physical conditioning of a horse. Am I
> understanding correctly that the same training strategies are appropriate
> for the two different species?
>
> Nancy Sturm
information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.