[RC] [RC] Training techniques for both human and animal - Maureen A. Fager

I?ve read Ivers for many years and he does answer some these questions by establishing parameters that can be measured. For instance, in this sentence for one of his earlier posts about resting heart rates: Over the very long term, years rather than months, yes, but not real useful, say, over a period of 6 months. On the other hand, RHR can be very usefull in picking up the signs of exercise intolerance, injury, disease or overtraining (insufficient recovery/nutritional support between hard exercises).

His idea of measuring overtraining can be done two ways, one is above mentioned of tracking RHR, another would be tracking the weight of the horse. Why? The idea (as I understand) it is this: during training the horse is developing muscle, and should either gain weight or maintain weight. Building muscle is described as anabolic. If the horse is losing weight, it could mean that the horse has become catabolic, ie, breaking down muscle instead of building muscle. Tom defines overtraining as ?insufficient recovery/nutritional support between hard exercise.? The horse is not getting adequate nutrition to support the needs of athletic training. This is measured by tracking the animal?s weight.

How do you know the animal?s diet is right? By having the feed analyzed and balanced. It is not enough to say, a feed manufacturer said my diet is good. How good is it? What is the total protein percentage, what is the total fat percentage, what is the total carbhydrate percentage, what are the mineral ratios, what nutrients are missing? By having the diet analyzed and balanced you know instead of having to guess.

By having the feet x-rayed you know if your horse?s bony columns line up right, you don?t have to guess.

As for reading books of human athletic training applying to horses let me offer this small example. I didn?t really understand the concepts and use of using a HRM until I read a book called ?Sally Edwards' Heart Zone Training: Exercise Smart, Stay Fit and Live Longer.? This book helped to understand the concepts of HRM training, so as to be able to apply them to my horse. Books can also explain theories like periodization and tapering.

Ivers just doesn?t want people to use ?scientific? methods to train, he emphasizes that without ways to measure the progress, one is training in the ?dark? and can?t really know if the training is effective. Thus, the use of daily training logs, feed analyses and other record keeping.

Last but not least, I feet that Tom respects good horsemanship, ie, the subjective part of training horses, but wants the science to go hand in hand with it. Athletic horses need both, and I agree.

Applying this knowledge has been the challenge for me, it?s not easy and can be expensive. So one must do the best they can and continue to work forward one small step at a time.

Cheers,
Maureen