Re: [RC] Endurance Equine Nutrition - Truman Prevatt

I'm with Angie on this. There are only two things I would add. If you live in a low selenium area (which FL is) you might want to supplement selenium. But I would do blood work on the horse to find out if he does needs it and a follow up blood test to determine the levels.

The equine nutritionist at Seminole feed told me (he holds a PhD in equine nutrition, spent 15 years as a resercher at Louisiana Tech.before he went to Seminole and in the same position at Southern States) that most feeds are designed to be fed at about 5 pounds a day as far as vitamines and minerals. Many people - especially those who pasture their horses 24 hours a day - feed less. In that case he reccomended supplemention with a good all purpose, vitamine/mineral/protein supplement. There are a lot of those around, Buckeye, Seminole, KER all make such a supplement.

As far as hay in FL. You can get some mighty fine Tiff 44 in FL. Tiff44 is a hybrid coastal and most people reccomend it over coastal for horses. Actually most people that say they feed coastal in the SE are in reality feeding Tiff 44.

But in general - a good high quality feed, grass and/or hay, selenium if needed, water and free choice salt will pretty much fill the bill.

Truman

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:

OK, here's where I see a problem. I'll admit, I know very little about
equine nutrition, but there's this thing called a feed company that has
people who work for them who do and they balance out a ration. I
supplement that with a high quality coastal hay which is *far* more than
"just a babysitter". When I was at the PNR convention in Portland they
had a man with a computer program there for the 3-Day Eventer convention
held in the same hotel. He would put in what you fed and tell you how all
the different things interacted with one another. He nabbed me as I went
by and asked me what I feed. I told him he wouldn't be impressed. I go
for a commercial mix 10% protein 6% fat horse feed, coastal bermuda hay
(all they'll clean up) and free choice salt. He said that was the
smartest answer he'd gotten all day. He showed me some examples of people
who were trying to do a better job than just feeding...god
forbid...straight "horse feed". They would add one thing that threw the
whole balance out of whack, then throw in some vitamins that were the
same vitamins provided in another, and this would counteract that. If you
want to do better than the feed mill's nutritionists, you'd better
*really* know what everything has in it...and hay matters a LOT, it's the
MAIN thing they're eating so you can't just blow over that part.

Angie

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics