Re: [RC] [RC] Heart Rates - April

Hi, Diane,

Check out the Garmin Forerunner 301. It's a great little GPS/HRM unit. Stores HR and GPS location information that can be loaded to the PC to see the effect of distance/speed/terrain on your horse's heart rate. You can get one for about $210. It is made for humans, so comes with a human chest transmitter. Roger Rittenhouse of VMAX sells an adapter kit for $55 to make the chest transmitter easy to use with the horse. So for around $265, you can have an awesome training tool. If you're interested more, I'm very happy to answer questions and even provide some data from my own horse so you can check out the types of things you can do.

There's a really good free program that works nicely with the 301 data and shows you summary and specific data that can be used to analyze your data. That's SportTracks.

One thing that we did recently was put the chest belt on my horse, Tanna, while he was in the trailer. I have a long belt that goes around his girth so I can monitor his HR during vet checks and the like. I have 2 transmitters. One that is adapted for use under saddle and another one for use at vet checks. Anyway, we put it on my horse while we traveled home from a ride. We then secured the wrist unit to the trailer so it could see satellites, but still read Tanna's HR. When we got home, we loaded the info into the computer and checked what his HR was while driving. His HR went up when we did turns, but was about 10 beats over resting while traveling straight. Very interesting data!

And no, I don't sell the 301, I just really enjoy mine.

April
Nashville, TN