[RC] TI posts - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: ti tivers@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I enjoy the TI posts.  As others mentioned, much better (as well as
entertaining) posts then the underwear thread.  I followed TI posts when he
subscribed to RC years ago and found them interesting.  My question for Tom is
this.  Since you have been away from RC,  have you done much in as far as
training, consulting, mentoring, observing, etc., in the specific field of
endurance.  Have you learned or discovered new information as far as the
nutrition and training of endurance horses?>

The only exciting new info on the scientific side is the new lactic acid
paradigm, mentioned elsewhere. In endurance, what's happening is happening in
Europe, not here. And it's basically tightening up monitoring systems, exercise
protocols and nutritional protocols. No miracles, but everybody is doing a lot
more of the right kind of work. Shouldn't say "everybody", actually. The
winners.

After Ridecamp and the UAE I spent some significant time in Europe, working
with SBs, TBs and jumpers. Haven't had much to do with endurance because busy
elsewhere. But the technology people have stayed in touch--I have agraphic
readout of that 5-6 parameter onboard device, but I don't think I'm allowed to
show it to anybody yet. Pretty amazing, though. Dom is working closely with the
developers.

If you have, would you be willing to share any information with this list?>

Happy to share information/ideas with intelligent people, but this list is
really not the place for that. Should be obvious why at this point. Too many
self-appointed defenders of the status quo. There is no overwhelming desire to
move forward in endurance in the US--life is too easy here. In europe you have
people who have to run like hell just to make a meager, over-taxed living--and
these same people find the time, and the money, to get the job done. True
warriors. My kind. Aussies are like that, too.

It seems with the advent of actual "endurance barns" and "professional riders"
using state of the art training facilities, veterinary facilities, nutrition
analysis, feeding protocols, etc., more information/research would be forth
coming and available to trickle down to the average endurance rider.>

Just the opposite. That was one of the ongoing fights I had with the
sheikh--these people want the technology for themselves, or at least the easy
tricks--the actual technology is very tough for them--and sometimes they resent
my spreading the word. I seldom mention one client to another--or to anyone
else.

What they can't complain about is information I've developed on my own, even if
their horses turn out to be the actual proof of the pudding. Meanwhile, because
I've been, and will continue to be, very sick, I've cut back my interactions to
just those that I know will achieve success--whether they pay well or not. I
always learn more from these people than they learn from me, even though I try
to load them heavy with solid practical information.

Perhaps you can be of help in disseminating this type of information.>

You can see precisely how many on RC have a desire to learn anything. The smart
ones that noticed the big splash and ran to see what was happening have already
contacted me directly, and I'll help them to the extent that I have time and
they are serious. My foray into the RC environment has done its job and I have
some interesting people to exchange new ideas with--be happy to add you to that
group--you've obviously got a functioning brain and the curiosity to go with
it. The rest? A total waste of time. And I no longer have a lot of time.

In a previous posts on RC, you were said to have recommended Chris
Carmichael's book on training the competitive cyclist.  This book goes into
great detail encompassing all parts of competitive cycling from equipment to
conditioning to nutrition.  If you have gained more experience working
directly with endurance horses and professional endurance barns,  whether here
or abroad in the last few years, a book like "The Ultimate Ride" would
certainly be welcome in the endurance community as there is very little
published on riding/racing competitively.  A book detailing the facts and
science of training the successful distance competitor would be an asset for
endurance riding in general.  I certainly would be willing to invest in book
of this nature as I am sure many other distance riders would also.>

Few have the mental and physical discipline for it. Most learn a little here
and there and become more dangerous to their horses than they were before. And
blame their blunders on me, of course. half way through the learning process,
like sophomores, they conclude they know it all and go off in one "modified
version" or another--mainly because they don't want to do the necessary work.
My books, despite a warning to the contrary on almost every page, have led to a
lot of that.

Write a book and you've got the Druids, like Heidi and Joe and the others so
obviously indentured to the past on RC taking potshots and discouraging many of
those with the capability to get it right. I'd rather take potshots at them and
talk to "my kind" in private--a lot more fun. Once in a while I need some fresh
input, new brains, so I'll dip into a group likes this, both guns blazing, and
see who's standing when the smoke clears--those I take home.

Hell, it's even worse with the Grand Poohbahs of equine research. They're
starved for funding, and when I leapfrog them to talk directly to horse owners,
who are often the primary contributors, and those folk say "Ivers has already
got this figured out and we're winning races", they really resent it,
particularly if the new news goes against what they've been preaching since
1962. That's the situation with glycogen loading in race horses and carb supps
for endurance horses vs the fat feeding fad. If the tree falls in the woods and
your local PhD didn't hear it fall, it just didn't fall, no matter the obvious
evidence of wreckage all around.

Besides, once a book is written, it's already yesterday's news. The gameplan I
put together for the Sheikh is now 4-5 years old, and it looks like he's used a
good part of it. Yesterday's news. Better, and more fun, to be working with
someone who's trying to beat the sheikhs--that's the way I'll get better at
what I do.

So, it will take a very special situation before I write more than a short
monograph again. I had a group called Horsescience, with more than 1000
members--but, again, despite strong attempts to keep it focused on new ideas
and techniques, only about 200 were "players". The rest were dead weight,
contributing nothing, stealing the easy tricks of the trade, and free medical
advice generously provided by the bright folks. Now I have Ironhorse--just for
clients, period.

During the current foray into RC, there has been ample time for anyone to ask
good questions and get useful answers--or get into a good discussion. But,
clearly, the percentage of people who can ask a useful question is very low,
and the percentage who can get into a good discussion that might be useful to
me and my clients is far lower. Soon enough, the fun will be over and that 99%
can go back to sleep.

You, Kim, can come with me and the few others harvested this time around. Feel
free--I take care of my warriors.

ti
Kim Fuess