Re: [RC] Beet Pulp- Tom Ivers - sigh - Sisu West Ranch

While I have no quarrel with the science behind the beet pulp research, I do wonder about Mr. Ivers' implied conclusion that beet pulp is bad.

I think that it gets down to a question of amount and the wise use of this feed.

1. I personally know of a 27 year old CTR horse that has lost his teeth and can not chew hay. This horse can only be wintered over on lots of beet pulp. In the summer it can get nutrition from grass. This summer the horse has taken a first place and a high point in 25 mile CTR's (UMECRA rules most likely a 4 or 4.5 hour ride time specified). This is after the owner returned from vacation early in the year and found the horse skin and bones, because no beet pulp had been fed during her absence.
2. On ride day our horses will eat bunches of beet pulp mixed with a little grain. That gets lots of energy and WATER into them. Any problems with electrolytes appear to be handled with moderate elyte' syringed.
3. We give one dose of elytes' about every 2 hours mixed with apple sauce. Our horses do not exhibit any signs of burning mouth etc. They happily go on eating etc. after the dose.
4. At home their diet is MT grass (May 1-Jan 1), then MT grass hay from the same fields. They are fat and sassy. We feed 2 quarts of beet pellets between 7 horses each day. This is mostly to get them to eat the Vit E - Se suppliment and to make sure they like beet pulp on ride day. I doubt that any chelation effects will cause problems.

Would I cut hay/pasture to feed more beet pulp, if it saved money? Hell no. Horses need lots of grass for health. We picked our present place for this reason.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875