Re: [RC] tack and gear that worked on Tevis - Jonni

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karen Sullivan" > Re: the Big Horn, curious what you think of stirrup
position?; I seem to remember a friend had one back in mid 90's.....to me it
seemed like stirrups were too far forward and put her in a "chair" seat;
which would mean difficult to post balanced....so am wondering if they
changed that design any or if you can comment...<<<

I just had someone else comment on that same thing. I sent him a note with
some thoughts. if one ends up "back" in the saddle, the seat size may be too
big, which would place your rear end too far back, and then your legs too
far forward.(thus that "chair" position)  I do well with Big Horn style
saddles, but did horrible in one with dressage placed stirrups. Rotated my
hips and pelvis too far forward.But I have ridden in huntseat type english
saddles, and Western Saddles all my life, and a dressage saddle was very
different for me.  When you sit in the saddle, feet out of the stirrups,
center yourself in the saddle seat, and then see if you can place your legs
under you, knees slightly bent, and look down your knee( like riding
bareback, but not wrapping legs around the horse, rather just connect at
seat, and thighs), and see the toe of your shoe. Then, ride around at a walk
like that, and see how it feels. THEN, look if the stirrup drops down in
line with your leg. If not, I'd consider the saddle may be the wrong size
for the rider.

So, in answer to your question, I personally have not had trouble getting my
legs under me, and riding balanced in the Big Horn. BUT, I have seen some
riders in that chair position, with feet shoved forward. Never thought much
about "why" until today, with two people questioning it, and I'd still
consider saddle size first.

Oh, last, not sure if the newer Big Horns are different from the older ones
in design. I am using older ones.
Jonni