[RC] tack and gear that worked on Tevis - Jonni

I know some folks love to brag about how well their horse did at a ride with
certain hi-tech fancy saddles, tack, foot care etc. I mean let's face it, if
we find something that works for "us", we often want to share our great
discovery.  Also, tack dealers have a tendency to brag about a customers
success, feeling that maybe their piece of equipment might have contributed
to the horse and riders success.  So, I thought I'd share with you, what
worked for ME, and helped my horse and I finish Tevis last week. (both of us
feeling pretty darn good after the ride)

Saddle:   Cordura and leather Big Horn endurance saddle. New, they run under
$600. Used can be found for around $300. I was given mine by a friend, as it
fit this W-I-D-E backed horse so well.

Saddle Pad:   Supracor cool grip endurance pad, no cover. About $200 new.  I
needed a thin pad because the horse is so wide, anything thick between he
and the saddle will cause pressure points. I like the flaps coming down on
his sides, to protect his sides from the cinch billets rubbing. (I changed
the Bighorn from a cinch latigo, to english billets made of biothane.)

Girth: An older Ortho-Flex neoprene dressage girth. (came with a saddle). I
was wanting to change to a new leather girth before the ride, as I was
concerned about heat build up, but Hank did fine. I have had other horses
react to Neoprene. Not my personal favorite substance to use as a girth, but
it works on him, and did not want to change right before the ride.

Breast collar:   Toklat nylon Y type with "fuzzy" against the horse. Cost
about $34 new.  They fit my horse well, and have always worked. Why change?

Bridle:   Biothane halter bridle from Animal-tacker. About $90 new.  I like
separate headstalls from the halter section, as to those with bit hangers.
Easier to take bridle part on and off for me.

Reins:   Nylon braided reins I got at Broken Horn Saddlery in So. Calif.
Cost under $7.  They come in many cool colors! I add a ring to the end, and
attach my own "romel" to hang on to as he drops head to drink.

Crupper:   Biothane from Trail-rite. Cost about $45

Saddle packs:    Stowaway from Sportack.  Have the Western Stowaway on back
($50) and the Stowaway Pommel Deluxe in front.($50). I could carry 4 water
bottles, 2 to drink, 2 to squirt off horse. Lots of room for what ever I
want to carry along. I've mastered getting the pommel pack attached for no
bounce operation.

Stirrups:   A pair of basic western stirrups that came with an old Stonewall
Saddle I had bought. Leather covered, with a little padding built in the
foot rest.

Sheepskin saddle cover:   Economy full cover from Sportack.(covers whole
saddle) $73

Tights:   lightweight, "custom made" by Evelyn of "Just for horsin around".
I had more folks ask me where I got such fun, colorful tights. cost approx
$40

Shirt:   long sleeved, snap up the front western men's long sleeved shirt.
Any western store. Cost approx $20

Bra:   No bounce by Enell. Previous I got the same from 1824. I did have a
rub from the bottom hook on this one, but I did not bounce! Cost $55 (and
will e-mail company about hook rubbing)

Shoes:   Ariat Terrains. These have never fit me, and I had to work to get
them to fit my wide foot. Wore them first for a few days around house with
insole pulled out. Then, changed to standard flat "tennis shoe" insole, as
they stretched more. Wore extra thick socks to help stretch them. Finally, I
was able to put the Ariat insole back in, and they were still too snug, but
stretched enough to be able to wear, while they finished stretching. Had
excellent results with them, but they were work for me to get to fit. Cost
about $90 (look for sales, I did not find one at the time) Oh, I pushed to
get them to fit, as I wanted more tread, to keep from slipping when I was
off the horse in canyons.

Helmet: Lidlocker. they have just always fit my head well.

Other "accessories" that I used, and was please with were the $6 Wal-Mart
watch that had a light on it, the small tiny headlamp I was able to Velcro
to my helmet. I wanted it not to guide me, but to use if I had tack
adjustment etc. It came in handy to check Hank after he fell off the edge of
the trail, and to aid Dave as he helped another rider replace her Easyboot
in the dark. I never knew it was on my helmet, as it was so light.

Oh, and last, horse foot wear: Standard steel shoes. NO pads, no easyboots
this time. Just shoes. He had no slipping or grip problem, and went up
Cougar Rock a little "off route", but had plenty of grab and go. Not a lame
step during, or after the ride. Our TX trails are not very rocky, but he has
excellent feet, and has never been "ouchy" over rocks without any sole
protection. Never even considered pads, but did consider easyboots over
shoes.

So, there you go. What works for me, may or may not work for you. But if you
look at the list, I for the most part, keep things pretty simple. The
Supracor pad is the most "hi-tech" tack item I use. I almost laugh myself at
the fact I am having such good luck with the Big Horn saddle. His back was
PERFECT during, after, and days after the ride. I am a heavyweight rider,
and if the saddle does not fit, the back WILL tell me.

If you are new to the sport, do not feel you HAVE to be sucked in by all the
latest in gear. Find what works, and FITS your horse, and go with it.

Jonni