Re: [RC] FWIW - Scratches PREVENTION - Maryanne Stroud

Please forgive my gross ignorance, but after hearing people talk about
scratches a lot I really have to ask what are the necessary conditions for
them.  Is it dust, heat and sunlight? Or do you have to have water mixed in
there somewhere?

No one ever talks about scratches in Egypt and I've only seen something that
looked even remotely like them on a couple of my horses this spring. Mine
(unlike any of the other horses here) are out 24/7 and can actually get wet
feet messing about in puddles in the paddock if they so desire. Most horses in
Egypt are boxed as space is a serious problem.  If sunlight and dust were the
main culprits, I'd imagine that we'd all have scratches up the wazoo. Most of
the riders here prefer to ride in the desert exclusively since then they don't
actually have to worry about training horses to deal with any interesting
situations involving traffic, other animals, or equipment. The desert is total
dust and most horses get hosed off at least on the legs after riding.

Can someone give me an idiots explanation of what brings on scratches? I can
find lots of explanations of things to do for them but not much on what it is
that causes them.

Maryanne
currently in New Jersey and homesick as the dickens

This is why I think I?ve never had to deal with scratches.

I ride western, team & ranch rope, & have been teased by the cowboys
for my meticulousness, as they say ?Oh, the horse needs fetlock hair
for protection in the desert?. Well, I ride in the nastiest rocky,
cholla, spiny junk for ?trails? here hunting cattle out of the brush
(one section is like Cougar Rock in the Tevis), & protection has been
an issue 3 times in 14 yrs (so I just take the multitool pliers & pull
out the cactus). In fact, I?d rather have a clipped area there so I
can actually see the cactus spines because one is going to pick them
up anyway, sooner or later?

Just my 2 cents & food for thought on prevention.