Re: [RC] FWIW - Scratches PREVENTION - Truman Prevatt

Gloria Adams wrote:

Hi,

I have read lots of “What Do I Do if My Horse Has Scratches”, on many forums over the yrs.

I have had horses for 35 yrs (in Illinois – easy soft but wet trails, & now AZ for 14 yrs) & have never had scratches (knock on wood).

But, this is just my personal observation, but I think why is because:

   1. I clip (ie: shave) my horse’s fetlock hair off religiously – ie:
      show clip
   2. I groom my horse with a curry, dandy brush, body brush, then a
      slightly damp wet towel to pick up the remaining dust before
      every time I ride, in that order. This takes about 30-40 minutes
      each time. I ride 5 times a week (blame it on my old Pony Club
      training, but I can’t get it out of my system, LOL!)
   3. I do not brush wet dirt on the fetlock area, I wait until it
      dries, then brush it off (another Pony Club pearl).

This is why I think I’ve never had to deal with scratches.

I ride western, team & ranch rope, & have been teased by the cowboys for my meticulousness, as they say “Oh, the horse needs fetlock hair for protection in the desert”. Well, I ride in the nastiest rocky, cholla, spiny junk for “trails” here hunting cattle out of the brush (one section is like Cougar Rock in the Tevis), & protection has been an issue 3 times in 14 yrs (so I just take the multitool pliers & pull out the cactus). In fact, I’d rather have a clipped area there so I can actually see the cactus spines because one is going to pick them up anyway, sooner or later…

Just my 2 cents & food for thought on prevention.

If you horse has white feet with pink skin showing in the back of the fetlock, some sun screen during the worst part of the summer will also help.

Truman

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics