[RC] FWIW - Scratches PREVENTION - Gloria Adams

Hi,

I have read lots of “What Do I Do if My Horse Has Scratches”, on many forums over the yrs.

I have had horses for 35 yrs (in Illinois – easy soft but wet trails, & now AZ for 14 yrs) & have never had scratches (knock on wood).

But, this is just my personal observation, but I think why is because:

  1. I clip (ie: shave) my horse’s fetlock hair off religiously – ie: show clip
  2. I groom my horse with a curry, dandy brush, body brush, then a slightly damp wet towel to pick up the remaining dust before every time I ride, in that order. This takes about 30-40 minutes each time. I ride 5 times a week (blame it on my old Pony Club training, but I can’t get it out of my system, LOL!)
  3. I do not brush wet dirt on the fetlock area, I wait until it dries, then brush it off (another Pony Club pearl).

This is why I think I’ve never had to deal with scratches.

I ride western, team & ranch rope, & have been teased by the cowboys for my meticulousness, as they say “Oh, the horse needs fetlock hair for protection in the desert”. Well, I ride in the nastiest rocky, cholla, spiny junk for “trails” here hunting cattle out of the brush (one section is like Cougar Rock in the Tevis), & protection has been an issue 3 times in 14 yrs (so I just take the multitool pliers & pull out the cactus). In fact, I’d rather have a clipped area there so I can actually see the cactus spines because one is going to pick them up anyway, sooner or later…

Just my 2 cents & food for thought on prevention.